Sachs Covered Bridge; Adams County, PA

Sachs Covered Bridge; Adams County, PA
Sachs Covered Bridge; Adams County, PA

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Learning about art history

Back on May 8 I replied to a comment on my post about Stephen King etc. that I'd post something about my favorite paintings.  I'll mention something close to that I started on Pinterest. So that I can figure out what I think of Pinterest and learn about art history, for one of my boards I decided to create an art museum stocked with whatever I wanted. A lot of the artworks I chose are to help create variety. Sometimes I see there is a hole in the collection and use that as a way to do some research. That's how I learned about abstract expressionist paintings by women and found that I prefer their works.  It's been months since I've added anything to the board.

Here it is:
https://www.pinterest.com/chuckditzler/my-art-museum/

A problem for someone in China is that I think you have to sign on with an account to see my full board.

If you have any suggestions, such as a hole I should fill, or want to know why I included something, please let me know.

I like this sculpture in Baltimore's Walters Art Museum because of how bronze and marble are combined and it probably is based on a famous African American actor of the 1800s, Ira Aldridge, who was known for portraying Shakespeare's Othello.  Museum's page on this artwork: http://art.thewalters.org/detail/98789/othello/

"Othello" by Pietro Calvi, modeled 1868, this executed in 1873



5 comments:

Ping said...

Thanks for recommending Pinterest. Love its style, but I guess I'm also trying to learn about the pros and cons of this site!

Chuck Ditzler said...

Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering how easily you could use it there. Much about it I dislike. One reason is that images too often lack sufficient information on origin, creator, etc. And like many things on the Web, incorrect information spreads on there.

Ping said...

Thanks for your reminder! I can browse this site via VPN!

Chuck Ditzler said...

Could restrictions on VPN through Apple make it more difficult or does that affect only potential new users?

Ping said...

Oh, personally it's okay. But faster connection typically is from paid VPN compared with free service.